24 Apr The Beginner’s Guide to Chakras
If you’ve ever practiced yoga or meditation, you may have heard about chakras before. However, these practices aren’t the only ways to visualize and feel the power of chakras within the body.
At LunaVox Transformative Healing, we pay close attention to these energetic “hot spots” in order to better help our clients heal during chiropractic and reiki sessions.
Whether you aren’t entirely sure what chakras are and why they matter, or you want a better understanding of how important they can be in your own healing journey, read our Beginner’s Guide to Chakras below to get started.
What is a Chakra?
In Sanskrit, chakra is the word for “wheel of light.” But what does this mean?
Put simply, chakras can be described as energetic areas within the body, lining up vertically from the base of the spine up through the top of the head. There are seven main chakra points along the spine that extend outwards (some go forward and backward while others go up or down), but there are hundreds of minor chakras all throughout the entire body, including in the palms of your hands.
Each of them spin and draw in energy from the universe and move the energy throughout our physical bodies. You might even think of them as a fluid system, where the energy flows through us like water through a system of pipes or channels.
The Seven Main Chakras
Within the lower portion of our body, chakras are associated with more fundamental needs and survival, while the ones in the upper part (higher chakras) are associated with higher mental and spiritual functions. Here’s a brief overview of each main chakra:
- The root chakra at the base of the tailbone points downward, connecting us to the earth. Blockages within this chakra can relate to issues of survival, such as food, shelter, or safety.
- Above the root we have the sacral chakra, near the lower abdomen. Here we store energy surrounding our ideas of love, sexuality, and pleasure.
- In our solar plexus chakra — located in the upper abdomen or stomach area — is energy related to our personal power and sense of self, such as confidence and self-worth.
- The heart chakra in the center of the chest relates to our giving and receiving of love, and our ability to heal or find peace.
- In our necks, the throat chakra relates to how we communicate and speak our truth.
- Located in the space between our eyes is the third eye chakra. This is the seat of our intuition, understanding of our life’s purpose, and how we perceive reality.
- Lastly, the crown is at the very top of the head, representing our connection to the universe and the integration of the whole self: mental, emotional, physical, and spiritual.
For more in-depth exploration on chakras, consider reading The Ultimate Guide to Chakras, The Book of Chakras: Discover the Hidden Forces Within You, and/or Hands of Light. You can also check out some of our other favorite healing tools!
How Chakras Work Within the Body
All of these energy wheels are connected to more than just our mental, emotional or spiritual selves — they are also intimately linked with our muscles, bones, organs and cells, and even correspond to human behavior and development.
Everyone may have different sized chakras with varying degrees of activity, and sometimes they become blocked, sluggish or overactive for many different reasons. When this happens, problems in the nervous system, endocrine system, or other major systems within the body can start to show themselves both in minor and serious ways.
For example, a blockage within our crown chakra may lead to disorders of the mind and nervous system, such as minor pains like headaches or something as major as a tumor. Other issues with the crown could also involve troubles with sleeping, since the pineal gland in this region secretes melatonin and helps regulate sleep cycles.
Or for the solar plexus chakra, diseases of the stomach, pancreas, or liver might arise. Because the solar plexus often deals with things regarding your ability to heal (or in other words: “digest” or process emotionally painful things in your life), it can relate to problems with physical digestion issues, such as reflux, IBS, or tumors in the digestive tract.
Chakras and Energy Healing
In our chiropractic and reiki healing sessions at LunaVox, we pay close attention to chakras by visualizing the energy flowing up and down the spine. This helps us to notice any areas where the energy feels stagnant and the body feels tense.
When we do come across places that feel “stuck”, blocked, walled off, hot, or extra sensitive, knowing the chakras tied to these areas of the body enable us to offer better treatment and ask the right questions to help our patients heal.
If you want to learn more about our in-office chiropractic and reiki sessions or our distance healing package, reach out to us today to take the next step in your healing journey!
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.